Friday, June 13, 2008

biking in Berlin

I started off the day sleeping in a little bit...as the travel the day before left me exhausted! I woke up, checked email, went to the gym (go me!) and headed to the bike tour at 11. It was the best way to see the highlights of the city and get a good lay of the the land. The guide, Enda, was so enthusiastic and interesting as well! He gave us the history of each stop and made it fun at the same time. Check out HP advertising around the city!
On the tour, we saw Hilter's bunkers (and the location of the one where he committed suicide), Checkpoint Charlie...one of the most tense areas during the Cold War, the memorial to the Jewish that lost their lives in the Holocuast, the Parliament building and lots and lots of other landmarks...including a standing piece of the wall in the city.
The best part of the tour was making new friends from all around the world! There was only one other family from San Francisco and everyone else from the tour were from Ireland, Canada, New Zealand, etc. This is me and Jane, from Toronto, attempting a jump pic at the Parliament.
After the tour, I was heading back to the room to relax and grab a bite to eat when I ran into Alison. She's so great!! She had swiped a badge for me so I could go to the event that evening to celebrate the launch! The restaurant was really cool and modern. They had a Marilyn Monroe style singer, an oxygen bar and a bear (the symbol of Berlin) that everyone could sign.No, I'm not singing here...I'm taking in the H2O...it smelled like a taxi cab...yuck!
One of the highlights of the night was running into my friend Jenny from high school! She now works for AMD and lives in Austin!! Small world!
And on our walk home, we ran into another piece of the wall...

No comments: