Saturday, October 23, 2010

Masai Mara to Mombasa

It was another early morning as we were set to drive back to Nairobi. We took a different route than we took in…still super bumpy, but interesting. It was through a very flat area with lots of Masai tribes. I'm guessing these groups were far less exposed to the world beyond the Masia Mara. We got lots of stares and tons of little kids waving along the way.

We stopped at another tourist shop along the way and I found my prize souvenir. Peter, the giraffe! He is so beautiful and Ali helped me to negotiate a reasonable price.


Lunch was back at the Carnivore. This time I opted to try the meat. I had chicken, turkey and ostrich. I was pretty surprised I really liked the ostrich. And it fit my no eyelashes rule! We went back and played on the playground a little again. I just can't get enough playtime!


The Nairobi airport SUCKS. There isn't much to do there and there are lines everywhere. Plan on extra time if you're arriving or leaving this place! We finally made it to our gate and it was up and away to the rest and relaxation portion of our trip…Mombasa!!

We drove through town and I got to chat with Ali and Mary. Ali had been riding shotgun the entire time, so it was nice to get to know about him and his family. We arrived at the White Sands resort and it a sea of white marble and all open air! Then, I heard that my favorite Bob Marley song was playing, Three Little Birds. Ahh, I could feel all my muscles relax.

We had met at the Coco's bar and took a little trip down to the beach, borrowing a fire someone left behind from a previous celebration. The sand was white and the Indian Ocean was almost glassy it was so smooth. We all got a little chilly and headed back to the beach bar. Everyone trickled off to bed one by one. Again, it was Tan, Seth and me in the end. We made pillow forts to stay warm with the sea breeze. Tan drifted off to sleep and I got to chat with Seth. Again, it's so wonderful getting to know old friends better…but it's equally wonderful meeting new friends that are interesting and you just enjoy getting to know. We eventually turned in for the first time knowing we'd get to sleep in a little!

No comments: