Sunday, October 24, 2010

Mombasa Beach Day

5:30 am and the alarm was going off. What had I agreed to? I stumbled downstairs, not sure where we were going to meet. I almost fell asleep on a little outdoor couch when I looked up and saw Tan making his way to the beach. We sat in beach chairs and watched the sky slowly illuminate and the resort lights shut off. We were perfectly positioned for a beautiful sunrise over the water. The landscape and color of the water and sand changed every few minutes. We took pics from the resort and down on the beach. It was beautiful and worth the wait! Thanks Tan!


I went back up to bed to snooze until my massage at 8:30 am...Nita was planning to enjoy a spa day too. Ali, Tan and Seth were off to go deep sea fishing at 7:30 am that morning. Jackson and Mary spent their morning scuba diving in a nearby reef. I was totally relaxed after my spa treatments that were in a little cabana on the beach. I think I fell asleep several times during my massages.

I went down to the beach and 2 guards walked by with their AK-47s and cheerfully greeted me with a high pitched JUMBO! I love this place! Nita joined me shortly after then we ate lunch and went to ride the big waterslide! We took a few trips down and met up with Jackson and Mary. Then the clouds rolled over! Boo. We went to the swim up bar and shivered in the water. When it kept raining, we gave up and headed to the Coco's bar. We all hung out for a while. Mary and Nita went up to the room to get ready for the evening and Jackson and I relaxed a little longer at the bar. Again, the one on one time with people on the trip has been one of the highlights.


I finally heard the other guys were back and raced to get ready for dinner. They had caught 8 tuna and we were having their fresh catch for dinner at a local restaurant.


Richard picked us up and brought us to the Safari Inn. This place was perfect. There were some locals, tourists and a few ladies of the night. But it was all part of the ambiance! They grilled the fish perfectly and we all had more than we could eat…and that was probably just part of one tuna! Their guide took the remainder to freeze for himself. Thanks so much to the guys for the amazing meal and unique experience! They played some foosball and pool with some new "friends" later in the night. We invited Richard in to have a soda with us and got to ask some questions about Kenyan culture. He was truly just a nice, kind person.


After dinner, we went back to the White Sands to check out karaoke…and it finally happened…we heard and got to sing along to "Don't Stop Believin!" We had asked every guitarist along the way if they knew it. After karaoke ended, we went up to Tan and Seth's room to play some cards. We started with Blitz and moved on to my favorite Spades. On the way back to our rooms, Jackson pushed his door open and there was a lady in his room!! She had gone in the wrong room, but it was a little crazy for a minute! It was really late and just a weird coincidence that this happened right before Jackson got there!

No comments: