Sunday, October 12, 2008

Ike...a few weeks late

Again, it's been a while, gaigespages is giving me lots of trouble...well really Comcast. They're trying to fix the upload problem...so until I can get it updated, thought I'd post a few blog updates.
When I returned from Germany on Tuesday after Hurricane Ike, this is what I came home to. Here's a little peek at the damage around Memorial Club. This tree was uprooted...these guys were lucky this fell away from the house.
Our place was fine, minus a few food items that had to go after the power outage.

The storm did have an upside...I got to have a few house guests while everyone waited to get their power back. Over the weekend Camille and her sweet little Sadie stayed with me. And during the week, I got Nita for a night before she was able to move into her place and get power back. Here's a pic of the Sadie girl! :)
On Sunday, Camille and I went to George R. Brown to help the evacuees. Right as we pulled up, they were transporting everyone over to a new location...so no help needed. We used our handy iPhones to find somewhere else to help and decided on the Houston Food Bank. This is a shot of the Chase building that had the most damage in downtown...you can see all of the boarded up windows on the bottom floors.
At the food bank, the people were all very nice and well organized. We put together boxes with lots of tuna, chili and some weird items like seasoning packets, BBQ pork rub and sprinkles.

Here's Camille and me with our favorite box of goodies!

1 comment:

Camille said...

OMG... that is the cutest dog EVER! :)
She so takes after her mom!