Monday, September 15, 2008

barbeque and relaxing with the Monges

Today was a nice easy going day…and my last day in Pau. :( We got up and played with the kids. I watched and listened intently while Elorine and Annabelle worked through her workbook. I actually understood so many of the simple terms…I was on my way to becoming French!!

We had planned to barbeque that day, so Jérémy and I went to the store to pick up a few things. First, we went to a bakery with the most devine pasteries. Jérémy made me order…just because he loves to make fun of my awful French accent. How is it possible to even screw up the word croissant!?!??! We got a few of those and a baquette for lunch and a very fancy cake that looked incredible!


We stopped by the grocery store too…which was more of a mini walmart with clothes and other household items.

When we got home, one of the Monges’ friends was there with her little boy. He and Elorine had such a good time playing tag and running all around! We fired up the grill and Jérémy cooked the duck breast while Annabelle finished up the tabouli salad. While we were at the store, we also picked up a bottle of champagne and wine (both French, of course!). We opened the champagne and wow was it incredible! We then had our meal of canard (duck) breast, tabouli, and wine in the back yard (aka ‘garden’). The meal was absolutely delicious!! It was a beautiful day and had wonderful people to enjoy it with! The dessert was to die for! It was so delicious!
We headed to the airport right after lunch. When we arrived, we saw that the line for both ticketing and security were so long! We waited patiently and when I got to the front the lady informed me that boarding was closed. ARGH! We went to the ticket counter and it was going to be 400 euros to catch a flight later that day. Ouch! So, we started to think of alternatives. We finally decided the train would be the way to go. We drove over to the station and found a few options. There was an overnight train…but that would prevent me from seeing the countryside…so I went with the one that left in the morning.

So, I got to stay one more night than planned. J We picked up Chinese takeout for dinner. With none of the same dishes you see in the US or China! Another fun day! It was so nice to relax and take it easy on vacation!

1 comment:

Annemarie said...

When you said barbecue, I was looking for the traditional burgers, mac n cheese, beans...but um, that is the fanciest bbq I've ever seen. I'd like to come to the next one please!! :)