Friday, September 19, 2008

Köln

Jumped on the train from Koblenz to Cologne (or as the Germans say Köln). When you get off the train the entire landscape is consumed by the enormous Cologne Cathedral.
I followed the big red T for the tourist office and got a map of the city and a schedule for the bus tour. With my tiny bit of time here, this seemed like the best way to get a lay of the land. I had about 30 minutes to kill before the tour, so I walked over to the Cathedral. I lit one more candle here for the impending Hurricane Ike about to hit Houston. And just took in the massive beauty. Then I went over to one of the tourist stores and picked up my ornament. All of the people working there were Chinese and I almost couldn’t resist the temptation to say “xiexie” (thanks in Chinese). :)
We then toured all around the city by bus and saw the new and old of Cologne. There were medieval gates, many old churches, but also modern elements like the cable cars that cross the river. Would be a great way to get a good panoramic view.
We returned to the cathedral after our trip. This is a replica of one of the spires at the top...just to give you a sense of how enormous it is!!
After the tour, I walked through one of the big shopping streets and went over to the Hard Rock Café to get a pin for my friend Linda, who collects them around the world. Then crossed over to the river to head to the Lindt chocolate museum. Unfortunately, there was a private party, so I didn’t get to do the tour…but I did run through the gift shop with tons of chocolaty treats.
After a long, fun day, took the train back to Frankfurt! Another fun day planned tomorrow to Rothenburg!

No comments: