Monday, September 15, 2008

first stop, Koblenz

The first destination I found recommended online was the Rhein River Valley…then my friend Andre suggested Cologne (aka Koln) in the same area. After talking to the moderator for our focus groups, Helmut, and Siobhain…they suggested the same 2 destinations. I was set for my first day of playing tourist in Germany!

I set out on the train to Koblenz on a really ugly, rainy day. At least it wasn’t too chilly. :) The views were beautiful as the train moved toward the river and followed its banks all the way to Koblenz. There are so many castles along this route…you start to think…woop ti do…there’s another castle! They are all just gorgeous!
I found a tourist office right outside the train station. They provided a map with all the highlights in English. On my way to the city center, I saw this! So cool!! :)
I followed the path to a track of green space that went right along the Rhein River. There were a few other people out running or strolling…but I have a funny feeling this trail would be packed on a nice day. Here I am looking like a drowned rat!
Right before I made my way to a point at the corner where the Rhein meets the Moselle, I gave in and bought a touristy, ridiculous umbrella. This is so not me…but I actually chose it over a nice, plain red one! Go me! :)
I then made my way into the shopping district. This is a beautiful and fancy little town! There were many churches, shops, hotels, restaurants.
I had just read the blog update from Jasmine Star about her mom. I had followed her blog for a while, thinking this girl is too good to be true! I had the chance to meet her in July for the Freedom Tour stop (or start really) in Houston. She is just one of those people you instantly like and you feel like you’ve met an old friend. While I was at the Church of Our Lady, I lit a candle for Jasmine, her mom and the rest of her family. So, hope this post finds you doing well. Been there with my mom too and sending a big hug your way.
I walked the city a little more, just taking in the pretty streets.
Then stopped for lunch at a fish n chips place that was so yummy!! Their batter was so light and fluffy with lots of flavor and not greasy at all! Yum!
Once I was full and happy (and a little drier), I walked back to the train station to make my way to Cologne.

I saw this along the way...and felt like I was looking in a mirror!! Oh, and that map from the beginning of the stop in Koblenz...it was destroyed by the rain...so I stopped and got a fresh one to take with me. :)

2 comments:

Annemarie said...

That was so awesome about what you did for Jasmine's mom. The church was beautiful.

Jasmine said...

I LOVE YOU!!!!!
Reading this post just made my night and I can't thank you enough for being so wonderful and kind!
xoxo....